Receiver of Taxes
631-727-3200 Ext 247
ONLINE TAX PAYMENTS
The Receiver of Taxes collects real property taxes for the following entities located within the boundaries of the Town of Riverhead:
| School ||Riverhead, Shoreham-Wading River, Mattituck-Cutchogue and Eastport South Manor|
| Library ||Riverhead, North Shore Library, Mattituck-Laurel and Eastport South Manor|
| County ||Suffolk County|
| Town ||Riverhead Town|
| Highway ||Riverhead Town|
| Fire Districts ||Riverhead, Wading River, Jamesport and Manorville|
| Lighting || |
| Water || |
| Ambulance ||Riverhead, Jamesport & Manorville Fire Districts areas|
| Scavenger Waste || |
| Sewer || |
| Business Improvement || |
| Public Parking || |
- The office of the Tax Receiver is not a policy making office. We do not determine tax rates. We are responsible for collecting all real property taxes levied by the Town, County and school districts.
- Taxes are collected in accordance with New York State Real Property Tax Laws and the Suffolk County Tax Act.
- If the bank pays your taxes, you will receive an informational bill from this office, by January 31st.
- If you pay your own taxes, you will receive an original bill in mid-December.
- The failure of a property owner to receive a tax statement will not affect the validity of the taxes or interest prescribed by law. Therefore, if a tax statement is not received by the end of December, please call this office to inquire about its status.
Beginning December 1, 2018 all tax searches will be available with this link:
Town, County and School taxes in Suffolk County cover the period from December 1st to November 30th of the following year.
1. School Taxes: School budgets are set by your local school districts. Every year you have the opportunity to vote on the school budget. This determines the amount of taxes you will be paying for schools in your district.
2. County Taxes: County taxes are set by a county budget, approved by the Suffolk County Executive and the Suffolk County Legislature.
3. Town Taxes: Town taxes are set by a town budget, approved by the Town Supervisor and the Town Board.
Public hearings are set for school, county and town boards.
Payments are divided into two equal installments and may be made without penalty according to the following schedule:
First Half due by January 10th
Second Half due by May 31st
If the first half is not made by January 10th, payments will still be accepted at the Receiver of Taxes office through May 31st with the appropriate penalties.
2018 - 2019 Schedule
December 1st through January 10th
Penalty after January 10th
Penalty after February 11th
Penalty after March 11th
Penalty after April 10th
Penalty after May 10th
Taxes may be paid in person at Riverhead Town Hall, online (with fees) or by mail. If paid by mail, the postmark on the envelope stamped by an official Post Office date stamp will determine date of receipt. Please note that private postage meter dates are not acceptable.
If taxes are not paid by May 31st, they become delinquent and must be paid in full with appropriate penalties and interest to the Suffolk County Comptroller (Telephone: 631-852-3000), 330 Center Drive, Riverhead, New York 11901.
Partial payments not less than $200 are accepted in accordance with Suffolk County Resolution #551-2001. Partial payments must be paid with cash, check, money order or credit card, and are accepted December 1st to May 31st.
CREDIT CARDS: CHANGE OF ADDRESS: Tax Receiver Address Change Form All requests must be made in writing by completing the Information Change Form. Once the form is complete and signed, it can be returned by mail to: 200 Howell Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901, fax it to 631-208-1726 or email email@example.com
Credit Card/OnlinePayments: Taxes may be paid by Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, ACH or debit in the Tax Receiver's Office or online at www.townofriverheadny.gov. There is a convenience fee of 2.45% charged by the company to the taxpayer based on the total charge.
Persons eligible for a tax exemption must file the appropriate paperwork by March 1st of each year in order to qualify on their next tax bill. Exemptions include Veterans, Over 65, Disability, and STAR (School Tax Relief) Program, Fire, Ambulance. For information please call or write the Assessors Office (631)-727-3200 Ext 255, 200 Howell Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901.
THIRD PARTY NOTIFICATION FOR ELDERLY AND DISABLED HOMEOWNERS:
If you are either 65 years of age or older or disabled and you own and occupy a one-, two, or three-family residence, you may designate a consenting adult third party to receive duplicate copies of your tax bills and notices of unpaid taxes. Applications may be obtained in the Receiver of Taxes office.
Third Party Form
IMPORTANT MESSAGE: PLEASE NOTIFY THE RECEIVER OF TAXES UPON THE SATISFACTION OF YOUR MORTGAGE OR IF YOUR PROPERTY HAS BEEN SOLD OR TRANSFERRED AT (631)727-3200 Ext. 248